Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"The Pink Stuff"

Well, I finally broke down and took Julia to the doctor. I didn't want to be that paranoid first time Mom that rushes off to the pediatrician just because her baby has the sniffles, but I also know how guilty I'd feel if she ended up getting horribly sick when I could have taken her in long before she got that bad. She's had the runny nose/congestion forever, it seems like, but then when she woke up on Saturday I could feel a rattle in her chest, and that scared me. Of course, I had to wait 'til Monday to call (actually, Daddy gets credit for that because I was at work so he called), and we got an appointment for Tuesday. She said she agreed with my thinking. There's nothing really to do for the runny nose, just keep sucking, and steam her (that's fun), but the rattle in the chest would be what she's most concerned about. She listened to her chest and said she could hear it. Then she gagged her a little to make her cough, and listened again. That time it went away. She said that was great because if it was truly in her lungs, it wouldn't go away when she coughs, so it must just be nasal drainage. Productive coughing is good to get it out. The mystery diagnosis came when she finished up the exam, checking all the things she does at a well baby visit. Turns out, the baby girl has a full blown ear infection in her right ear. Go figure. She never pulled at her ear, never had a fever, and she's been acting just fine. I never would have guessed. We were there for something totally different that turned out to be untreatable anyway. God was looking out for her, because I probably wouldn't have known anything was up until it got a lot worse, since my sweet baby never complains. Bless her, she must have a high pain tolerance. We got a prescription for amoxicillan, the same stuff I took as a kid. We called it "the pink stuff". I almost died when John pulled that pink liquid out of the bag. I said, "Yep, that's it, same stuff. I bet it has to be refrigerated, right?" Sure enough, the label said yes. When I popped that bottle open the first time and got a whiff, boy did it bring back memories. Mom, Brian, you're welcome to come sniff and take a trip down memory lane with "the pink stuff". They say history repeats itself. I'd have to agree.

(PS: Julia weighs 16 lbs., 12 oz. - still long and lean at 7 1/2 mos.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, poor baby! Well, her little body was trying to fight it and couldn't anymore I guess....Give her a good kiss for me......I remember that pink stuff.....yuck! LOL.....

Get well Julia!!! XOXOXOX

Bud & Mary said...

My Goodness, we ALL remember the "pink stuff."

Make sure she takes it all. Med's are given out according to age/weight and severity of problem.
And that's all on that.. LOL

Hugs & Kisses to you both.

rachel said...

yeah, i remember that stuff too....made me sicker!! i was allergic! but what else is new?! pretty much all antibiotics do something weird to me! o well... hope she gets better! make sure to check for rashes...i think that's how we knew i was allergic.....!

Brian M. Gulley said...

Ya you had to expect to use that stuff at least once. I mean you and me were took that stuff every day for like 6 years!!! way to keep us health mom. maybe that is the reason i am overweight. got to find some reason to blame it on mom and dad other wise I will never get on montel!

The Sandoval Family said...

I must admit i've taken a swig or two of that stuff when my kids had it prescribed to them. Yummo!

Followers

Counter

Music






Swidget 1.0