Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My First Mother's Day

My dear husband did a great job on Mother's Day. When I woke up Sunday morning to get ready for church, he was already gone. Just as I was getting out of the shower, I heard a little knock on the bathroom door. I opened it to discover him holding a card and yellow roses (my favorite). He had gone to get breakfast - a skillet with everything imaginable in it and a side of french toast - and he'd already poured me a glass of milk. Of course, by the time I ate the thick slice of french toast, I was full. (I can't eat a big meal early in the morning.) So, my dinner was taken care of for later - bonus! Then I got to finish getting myself ready while he dressed the baby. Impressive, I know! And we were only our usual 10 minutes late for Worship Team practice at 8:30. (I don't think I'll ever be on time again.) We spent the afternoon at my parents' house lounging around. Kristen fed the baby lunch. After evening church, Brandon & Missy and Kristen came over to play games. And I just realized, Kristen fed Julia dinner, too. I never fed her all day, besides nursing of course. Daddy and Julia did a great job! While I occasionally get breakfast when John finishes up midnights, I can't remember the last time he got me flowers, so that was a surprise! Good job Daddy. My last, most labor-intensive gift came today. The stove/oven that came with our house is unfixable. I've gotten by with it, but only because I had to. It doesn't cook evenly, never gets up to the temperature it's supposed to (we checked by putting a thermometer inside), the numbers are worn of the knobs, the clock and timer don't work, and the door only opens halfway (that is, if you want to be able to close it again). It's not that he didn't try fixing it. He's pretty handy, but the thing just needed to go. So, today he pulled it out and then took off to go buy a new one. (I helped pick it out on Saturday.) Somehow I got the fun job of cleaning the void while he was gone. You have no idea what grime was under and behind that stove. I told John I draw the line at dead things, so he checked and gave the all clear before I would look. (Hey, with the people that lived in our house before us, you never know.) So as I scrubbed while he was gone doing the difficult job of purchasing the new one (poor guy), I sang Happy Mother's Day to myself. But how could I complain? When he came back, he grouted the section of tile back splash that is behind where the stove sits. For some reason, that is the only section they never did, and it bugs me. Then he painted the hood white because it was a nasty yellowing color and we can't buy a new one because it's a weird size. Then he hooked up the stove. I'm so excited! I want to bake something, but it's kinda late. John will probably have a five course meal tomorrow!

Everybody say, "Oooooh, Ahhhhh!"

(Or more likely, "Mom, what's for dinner?")

5 comments:

Bud & Mary said...

Do we have to make an appointment for "lunch/dinner?"

It looks very nice and "new" is always facinating isn't it?

I loved getting new things in the beginning and working with them... Now I've had everything so long, tis old hat, and with some of our diet restrictions don't need some things anymore...

You do soooo WELL on this blog Jess, I just love it, and pop in quiet often.
Later (((HUGS)))

The Sandoval Family said...

How will John top your next Mother's Day? Stove look great!! Let us know when we can come for dinner. haha

Anonymous said...

Hey.....can we come eat, too?? LOL.....:-)
I love the way you tell a story, too, Jess....:-)

I kinda can relate to the stove thing, too.....I have had my first really new stove myself not that long....mine, like yours, never heated right, but my door opened.....LOL....

Sounds like a great day for you!! Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

hey thats the same stove we have! lol, except my burners are black not gray, and brian is soooo impressed with how clear our door is when you turn the light on, you'll have to go check it out if you havent already! lol.

Brian M. Gulley said...

i totally missed that pic the last like 15 times i have been on your page. that is the same stove we got! Isn't cool how clear the glass is. It is cooler to watch the food cook than any tv we get with the bunny ears. Yes, I am preaching at state street in Hammond on Sunday so we should be out there sometime? I have scotland meeting and tiff has Eli's graduation so don't know when we will be able to hook up but we can sometime.

Followers

Counter

Music






Swidget 1.0